Friday, May 16, 2014

Social Media can Be....

(disclaimer: This post is solely about me and a life lesson I'm learning. This is in no way directed blatantly or inadvertently to anyone other than this girl right here.)


If any of you follow me on social media like Facebook or Twitter, then you've probably noticed that I've started posting a ton of positive, encouraging, motivating type quotes and pictures. And other than the fact that I've always been a quote-appreciating person, here's the reason why.


Think of all the crap that is on social media daily. I mean seriously. People use social media as a platform for complaining. A platform to passive-aggressively jab at other people. A platform to stir up trouble, or gossip, or spread rumors. A platform for arrogance, rudeness, selfishness. A lot of the stuff floating around social media should, in reality, be kept private.


I was challenged by a situation a few weeks ago to really stop and think about the way I was using social media. Was I improving people's feeds by what I was posting? Or was I adding to the negativity and the crap that abounds?


And so began my self-appointed challenge to change the way I use social media. Because, to be honest, most people don't care that I dyed my hair last night, or that I have the coolest friends ever. But I have no idea how a quote or some positive message is going to help someone else today. Or tomorrow. Or next week.


What I do know, is that I have no chance of impacting the world for the better if I participate in the spreading of crap via social media. And it's all too easy to do. It's easy to say things on social media we wouldn't in real life. It's easy to start or perpetuate fights when we hide behind our computer screen. It's easy to get caught up in the narcissistic attitude that the world wants to be updated on my daily activities and wants to see countless selfies everyday.


And so I decided enough was enough. It's time to stop being so self-centered, and start thinking of other ways that social media can be used. And for me, it's breaking up he monotony of the crap with positive thoughts to ponder for the day. Because there is quite enough negativity in the world without me adding to it. But there can never be too much positivity in this world. What a simple way to help make the world a better place.


As I said in the disclaimer, this post is solely about me and my journey. So if you're reading this and are offended, know that that is not my intention. And if you are offended, maybe you should ask yourself why...because chances are the problem isn't the words of my journey in this post.


Determined to spread more positivity,
AA

1 comment:

  1. Vicki Patti - DavisMay 16, 2014 at 5:14 PM

    Great food for thought! Never thought of it that way. Nice job licia!

    ReplyDelete